Tuesday, August 26, 2008

QUICK, GET ME TO THE CHURCH ON TIME!

“Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise. Use his words to teach and counsel each other. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts”—Col 3:16 (NLT)

I read this a while back and wanted to share this story with you and then bring an application home:

A disgruntled church-goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained: “I’ve gone to church for thirty years now, and in that time I have heard something like three-thousand sermons. But for the life of me, I can’t remember a single one of them. I think I’m wasting my time and the Pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.”

This began a major controversy which went on for weeks until someone wrote in this reply:

“I’ve been married for thirty years now. In that time my wife has cooked some three thousand meals. For the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this … they all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work…”

Wow, this is so true. We need our spiritual nourishment to be able to do the work of the Lord effectively! Corporate worship, fellowship with our brothers and sisters and seeking the advice of wise Godly people are ingredients to help do the Lord’s work effectively.

God does not want us to isolate ourselves! He wants us to be in constant fellowship with like minded believers, teaching and encouraging one another, singing psalms and spiritual hymns together! Let us not forsake the assembling of ourselves together (Heb.10-25)! Let’s all make it a priority to be in corporate worship together. View it as part of your ministry. When you consistently commit yourself to this, you are encouraging others around you and it may even be a testimony to someone else that is struggling. We’ve got a lot of work to do (as Jesus puts it, “the harvest is plentiful”). Let’s do it together!

No comments: